An attractive Russian silver serving fork, made in Warsaw when it was under Russian rule (now Poland).The fork is decorated with flowers, leaves and ribbons, with the same design on the back and the front. The leaves with berries look like mistletoe to us, which is a traditional Christmas decoration, requiring a kiss. The handle is ribbed, the gauge is heavy, this fork is a pleasure to use. The fork has 3 clear hallmarks. The first is the Kokoshnik (Russian head dress) mark used between 1908 and 1926, indicating 84 grade (875 purity). The Kokoshnik has the Greek letter Iota, indicating Warsaw as region of assay. Warsaw was under Russian rule until the end of WW1 in 1918, Russian marks were used until 1920. We can then date this fork between 1908 and 1920, but it is probably pre 1914. The second mark is W.H, a makers mark we have been unable to identify (assistance welcome). The third mark is also unidentified by us, it consists of a half moon and 3 stars in an oval punch (once again, all help welcome, thanks)...
A set of 8 Fiddle pattern Russian silver teaspoons, with engraved contempory initial W, by the famous maker Sazikov. The spoons are of exceptional quality, and are in excellent condition, with perfectly preserved tips, and no scratches or dents at all. Sazikov was founded in 1793 by Pavel Sazikov, they received the Imperial warrant in 1846, meaning they were one of a few select firms chosen to supply the Russian Imperial family. All 8 teaspoons carry the Imperial Warrant double headed eagle hallmark, which is well struck. Sazikov produced very high quality silver until the Russian revolution of 1917, the firm being run first by Pavel's son Ignaty, later by Ignaty's sons Pavel and Sergei (Watts, Russian Silversmiths Hallmarks, pg 27). The hallmarks are very clear, and in addition to the Imperial eagle include Sazikov makers mark in Cyrillic, assay masters mark B.C. for Victor Savinkov, date letter 1862, standard mark 84 (zolotniks) and city mark for Moscow (St George killing dragon).
A Russian silver Fiddle pattern tablespoon, with very clear hallmarks, including town mark for Tallinn (now Estonia). The town mark is a shield containing 3 lions, and was used between 1842 and 1920 (Watts, Russian Silversmiths Hallmarks). The assay masters mark is very clear (YaN), the mark is recorded by Watts but unknown (pg 89). The makers mark CRH for Carl Reinhold Hefftler is very clear (we previously had this incorrectly identified as Rubert Hermann). The spoon has scripted initials "G et WP" on the front, and "H&TJ" on the back next to the hallmarks.
An unusual Russian silver kvass jug in Trompe L'Oeil style ("deceive the eye"), which is a type of chased decoration designed to imitate a surface or texture, to create a 3D impression. The jug is typically Russian in style, and the texturing imitates rush work or raffia (woven birch wood strips). The detail is amongst the best we have seen, the silversmith was definitely a true artist. The interior of the jug is gilded, and the hallmarks on the base are clear, although part of the makers mark is worn. The handle also has the St Petersburg hallmark. The assay master is Aleksandr Frans Fan der Flit (or van der Vliet), who worked in St Petersburg 1882 to 1894, his Cyrillic initials are AF, source www.925-1000.com. This assay master is described as unknown by Watts (Russian Silversmiths Hallmarks 1700-1917, Geoffrey Watts, pg 73). We are not experts on cyrillic makers marks, so are not certain we have correctly identified the maker - all opinions welcome. Kvass is a traditional Russian and Ukrainian fermented b...
A pair of Russian silver and enamel teaspoons, with twisted stems and decorated enamel bowls and stems. These spoons are 88 grade silver as opposed to the commoner 84 grade, and were made in Moskow, as indicated by the delta (triangle) next to the Kokoshnik. The makers mark we believe to be that of Ivan Khlebnikov, an important maker who received the Imperial Warrant, and who specialised in enamel. The hallmarks are small but discernable. (Note: - as we are not experts in Russian silver, we cannot vouch for our identification).
A lovely Russian silver sardine fork in traditional style, the handle a well modelled fish, connected to the 3 pronged fork with a curved, twisted stem. The 3 prongs are also curved, and have short wide tines with flattened ends, for ease of use. The hallmarks include makers mark CH (or CB?), 84 standard mark and town mark, which is a little worn. Our best estimate is Novgorod or Orel (Watts, Russian Silver Hallmarks, pg 42-45), we are open to correction here.
This sardine fork has now been featured in an article entitled "Russian Silver Flatware Servers" by Dale Bennett, in the Magazine "Silver", January 2015, pages 14-19. It is described as "a most unusual flatware server", the author has never seen or heard of another Russian sardine fork. He describes it as a "highly imaginative server, with solid cast realistic sardine terminal". He describes the prongs as spade shaped, not sharp or pointed as in American sardine forks used for spearing, this is a lifter. He confirms town mark of Novgorod and date mid 1...
Rare Russian tablespoon by Kordes, one of the very few silversmith's who were commissioned to work for the Imperial Family. The Assay Master is A. Mitin, who worked from 1842 - 1877. The town mark for St. Petersburg is the crossed anchors and scepter, and is in a square shield with corners, indicating the date of 1873. The 84 standard mark and makers mark are also clear. The assay master mark is clear, but the date letter is worn.
Set of Russian silver Fiddle pattern tablespoons, with very clear hallmarks on all 6 spoons. These are very good gauge, suitable for everyday use. The makers name is in cyrillic, our best translation is A. Schenker or Shenker. The assaymaster is Nicholai Stradomsky (HC in cyrillic, NS in English), who worked in Moscow and Vilnius (Geoffrey Watts, Russian Silversmiths' Hallmarks, pg 84).
Impressive set of good quality Russian flatware, with an applied crest of what appears to be a basket of flowers over a shield, bearing the initials ES. They are of very good gauge, the individual spoons and forks weigh 80 grams each, the knives 130 grams each. The set was made in two different batches 2 years apart, the first 6 (2 of each) was made by Cyprian Labecki in 1883, the second 6 by C.H. Stern in 1885. All were assayed in Warsaw, Poland (which was part of Russia between 1850 and 1915) by O.C. (Josef Sosnkowski), who was the assaymaster in Warsaw between 1860 and 1896. The hallmarks are all clear, the 6 by Labecki have an additional hallmark of a bulls head, the 6 by Stern have a device that looks like a rams head. The knives are silver handled with steel blades (blades by Gerlach and S. Bienkowski). The hallmarks on the spoons and forks are very clear, those on the knife handles are present but worn (still discernable).